Sunday, March 4, 2018

Off to the Circus!

   And not the Barnum & Bailey sort either! 

      Housemartin has pulled one last con on me; he needs a place for those chariots (with the "oh-so-lovely" charioteers) to run their races. He sort of left that lying there and, being the twit that I am, I said that it would be dead easy to make a spina and then paint a track based on the board that he showed me. Thus I find myself painting a terrain mat to match the track that his boardgame came with. For all my complaining it is a simple matter as you can see below.


a 6" by 30" space in the center for the spina and a series of 4" wide pathways around it,
the first layer is in a darker shade, a lighter shade will highlight the track


three more lanes around the first and it is time to wait for it to dry,
notice how I cleverly left a tiny gap of the base color between the lanes

     I can't find my copy of Ben-Hur so I will be forced to undertake some actual research into exactly what a spina looked like. I remember statues and an obelisk and something involving dolphins....

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! What’s the green mat material?

    Yet another fun project to follow on this blog. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is called "Eco-Rug" and is widely available through places like Lowe's and Home Depot. I did a series of articles a while back on making terrain mats out of it https://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2016/07/diy-game-mats.html It is both cheap and durable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.

      Delete